22 February 2011

Beechmont Assisted Self-Build Project Opening


ATA were delighted to attend the opening of the assisted self-build scheme at Beechmont Close, a project, which we started to work on in 2005. Like many self build schemes, it takes determination and patience to bring such a scheme to fruition, but it was great to see so many of the people who had helped to make the project a success, and especially Nicolas Taylor, John Gillespie and Alison Marray  from Community Self build. The young people who were enrolled back in 2008 are now able to enjoy living in the flats they helped to build.  They worked on site with the Contractor, Enterprise and trained at Lewisham College. Some of them are now planning a career in the building industry.

One of the young people, a mother of two, was interviewed on completion of the build;-
"I always wanted to build my own house,  I did wood work in secondary school and it triggered off from there, just design and working with different materials, I didn’t really know how to get into it, so when I heard about this, I thought it was like a dream come true".

1 comment:

  1. Interesting concept - I wonder how the occupiers will get on. Would be interesting if BD could compare them after completion and assess who's done best...
    Assisted Living TX

    ReplyDelete